Colourpop Ultra Blotted Lip Review & Swatches: Deja Vu, Candyfloss, Zuma, Cherry On Top

ColourPop recently launched two new lip formulas, the Blotted Lip and the Ultra Blotted Lip. The Blotted Lip was originally introduced with the Alexis Ren Collection in February, and the Ultra Blotted Lip is new for Summer 2017. I purchased Deja Vu when the Alexis Ren collection launched, and immediately loved the formula. When I heard the were expanding the line and even introducing a liquid version, I had to try them! 


Zuma Cherry on top deja vu candy floss
Clockwise from top right: Zuma Ultra Blotted Lip, Deja Vu Blotted Lip,
Cherry on Top Ultra Blotted Lip, Candyfloss Blotted Lip.
Lets start with the blotted lips. They retail for $5 USD each from the ColourPop website, and are available in 11 colours. Three of these 11 colours are from the Alexis Ren collection and come in the black packaging. The blotted lip has a creamy formula that is very comfortable to wear. It goes on semi-sheer and is build able to achieve the intensity that you want. They have a matte finish that feels almost powdery, and softly reflects light, as you would expect from a creme formula. The idea is for the lipstick to have the appearance that it has been blotted with a kleenex after application. These are not transfer-proof and will smudge if rubbed. Deja Vu is a mauvey nude shade that is a perfect "my-lips-but-better" colour. It gives a healthy flush to the lips that effortlessly finishes any makeup look. Candyfloss is a terracotta nude with strong orange undertones. It looks great as a neutral lip to wear with the warm shades in the Modern Renaissance palette! These two shades have a similar intensity but Deja Vu is in the mauve/rose family and Candyfloss is in the orange family. See the swatches below. 

Next is the Ultra Blotted Lip. These retail for $6 USD each on the ColourPop website and are available in 8 shades ranging from nudes to brights, to deeper colours. The formula is a liquid that is quite thin, almost like a stain. It glides on smoothly and dries to a matte, semi-sheer finish. It is hard to get the deeper colours to not appear streaky, so it takes more product (a.k.a more coverage) to get a nice look. Once they dry down completely, they are transfer proof and long wearing, however they will not last through eating and drinking. Cherry on Top is a deep burgundy plum that is absolutely gorgeous! One of my favourite lipsticks is Clinique's Black Honey (a 90's icon!) and so I bought this to be my long-wearing version of black honey! Since the formula is quite sheer, like a stain, it is much softer on the lips. It is the perfect pop of colour that looks great even if your just wearing mascara! I also purchased Zuma, which is a warm nudey rose. This colour is a gorgeous everyday shade. I didn't realize until after i bought them how similar Deja Vu, Candyfloss and Zuma are. I guess I know what I like! Here are the swatches: 

swatches cherry on top zuma candy floss candyfloss deja vu colour pop
From left to right: Cherry on Top, Zuma, Candyfloss, Deja Vu.
Overall I'm really enjoying these products. They are very comfortable and weightless on the lips. You really don't feel like you're wearing a product on your lips at all! The liquid formula is much less drying than their other "Ultra Lips" and I like the stain-like appearance that it gives. I really love the cream formula, however I'm not a huge fan of the packaging. I find the lid frequently comes off while the lipstick is in my purse, which ruins the product and my bag! I tend to have this problem with ColourPops Lippie Stix and I would love if they changed the lid to have a twist-on mechanism, rather than just snap-on. 

Have you tried the Blotted Lips or Ultra Blotted Lips? Let me know what you think about them! 

Comments

Popular Posts

How to get the most out of Drunk Elephant skincare products

Biolage RAW Haircare Review